"Hospital Renovation 1907-1910"
— Fort Nelson Park —By 1900, time and use had taken its toll on the hospital building. In October 1907, the Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery ordered hospital personnel to remove patients to tent-covered wooden platforms constructed several hundred yards away from the building. Patient care took place in these tents for nearly a year and a half while the hospital was renovated. During this period, two new wings and the Jeffersonian dome were added. The hospital reopened in February 1909. From 1910 to 1940, surgeries were performed under the dome by skylight. The dome is now a Hampton Roads landmark for locals and mariners who travel the Inland Waterway.
|Placed By||Path of History, Portsmouth, Va|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, May 31st, 2015 at 10:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 383597 N 4078107|
|Decimal Degrees||36.84170000, -76.30551667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 50.502', W 76° 18.331'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 50' 30.12" N, 76° 18' 19.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201 Effingham St, Portsmouth VA 23704, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.