About 200 feet north of this site, a short distance from the Napa River ford, stood Don Salvador Vallejo's Casa Las Trancas, headquarters for his Rancho Napa— a land grant of over 3000 acres. Established in the 1840's and known as "The Happy Casa", it was the most famous of his three adobes he built in the Napa Valley. Salvador, husband of Maria and brother of General Mariano G. Vallejo, gave the hacienda to his youngest son, Ignacio in 1850, whose home it remained until destroyed by fire in 1919. Salvador was born in Monterey in 1813 and died in Sonoma in 1876.
Dedicated March 19, 1988
By Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004
E Clampus Vitus