The Spanish Steps
Built between 1723 and 1726 following the project of the architect Francesco De Sanctis (1693-1740), the Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti) link the Church of Trinità dei Monti located on the slopes of Pincian Hill with the underneath Piazza di Spagna. The fountain Barcaccia was built here in 1626-29 by Pietro Bernini and his son Gianlorenzo.
The idea of building a stairs linking the Pincian Hill to the square, in order to cross the drop between them, had first been documented in the second half of 16 C. Thanks to a legacy of money of a French representative in Rome, Stephan Gueffier, and the intervention of Cardinal Mazarin in 1660, some projects of the stairs were proposed, one of this project attributed to the group of Gianlorenzo Bernini included an equestrian statue of King Louis XIV.
A controversy between the Holy See and France about the property of the area, delayed the contest for the election of the project announced only much later by Pope Clement the XI in 1717.
The winner of the contest was Francesco De Sanctis but many important architects of that time like Alessandro Specchi, Alessandro Gaulli and Filippo Juvara took part in it.
The works were started by the Pope Innocent XIII and ended under Benedict XIII in 1726. The total amount of the expenses - over 50,000 écus - was covered in part by the profits of Gueffier's legacy.
La Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti
La Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti fu realizzata tra il 1723 e il 1726 dall'architetto romano Francesco De Sanctis (1693-1740) come scenografico raccordo tra le pendici del Pincio, dominate dalla Chiesa della SS. Trinità, e la sottostante piazza di Spagna dove Pietro Bernini, con la collaborazione del figlio Gian Lorenzo, aveva realizzato nel 1626-29 la Fontana della Barcaccia. L'idea di superare il forte dislivello tra il Pincio e lo slargo sottostante con una gradinata è documentata a partire dalla metà del XVI secolo, ma fu solo nel 1660, grazie al lascito dell'addetto all'Ambasciata francese Stefano Gueffier e per interssamento del Cardinale Mazzarino, che fu redatta una prima serie di progetti, tra cui uno attribuito alla cerchia di Gian Lorenzo Bernini, che prevedeva al centro della composizione la statua equestre del re Luigi XIV.
A seguito della controversia sorta tra lo Stato della Chiesa e la Corona di Francia sulla proprietà del terreno, il concorso per realizzare l'opera fu bandito solo nel 1717 dal pontefice Clemente XI. Vi parteciparono, oltre al vincitore Francesco de Sanctis, gli architetti Alessandro Specchi, Alessandro Gaulli e Filippo Juvarra.
I lavori, avviati da papa Innocenzo XIII, furono ultimati da Benedetto XIII nel 1726 con una spesa superiore ai 50.000 scudi, in parte costituiti dai profitti del lascito del Gueffier.
Comments 0 comments