Frankfort Bridge SiteIn 1810, the Frankfort Bridge Company was chartered to erect a bridge at this site. The bridge was completed here in 1816 at a cost of $25,000.00. In July, 1834 the bridge collapsed. A replacement bridge collapsed in December, 1835, just eight days after reopening, killing two people in the plunge. The double-roadway covered bridge familiar from Paul Sawyier's paintings was completed here in 1847. The present structure, which opened to pedestrians and vehicular traffic, including streetcars, in 1894, is know locally as the "Singing Bridge," due to the musical sound made by automobile tires passing over it.Historical Enhancement of Frankfort "Singing Bridge"The lighting and historical marker on this bridge were sponsored by Downtown Frankfort, Inc., a Main Street organization, in connection with Kentucky's 1992 Bicentennial Celebration. The project was made possible by a grant from the Kentucky Bicentennial Commission. The historical marker was made possible by a grant from the Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation.