Formerly, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, this sanctuary represents an importatn historical phenomenon in the history of the Catholic Church in southern Louisiana, the formation of seperate churches for black parishioners. Prior to its founding, black Catholics in the area worshiped at St. Peter's Church where they were segregated from white parishioners in worship and parish social life. With the support of the Josephites, Sisters of the Holy Family and Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of Grace Parish Church was dedicated on June 13, 1937 as a place of worship where black Catholics in the Reserve area could now participate fully in their church. The Rev. Roderick Auclair served as the first pastor. According to the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Our Lady of Grace Parish is the only historically black Catholic parish to survive outside the city. In 1991 a new church sanctuary was built and following the advice of Rev. Robert Sullivan, the Archdiocese donated the original sanctuary to Riverlands Christian Center Church who moved it to its present location. The move saved the church from demolition and preserved it as a symbol of American history representing a people of prayer, struggle and pride.