Prominent nineteenth century political leader and lawyer, William Czar Bradley (1782-1867) practiced in this building from 1802 until 1858 when he retired. He was a member of the VT Legislature, the Governor's Council, & U.S. Representative to Congress (1813-15 & 1823-27). As agent for the U.S. under the Treaty of Ghent, he established the boundary between Maine and Canada. William C. Bradley's law office building, and its untouched collection of furnishings, manuscripts, and books were willed in 1908 to the State of Vermont by his granddaughter, Sarah Bradley Willard. For the following 65 years her grandson, William Bradley Willard, who maintained a life interest in the property, cared for the office until it was opened to the public.