The Pedrick Store House, originally located on Marblehead Harbor, was built by Marblehead merchant Thomas Pedrick (1736-1802) in about 1770. It was first used as a store house for salt and goods from the cod fish trade, with a sail loft on the second floor. Later, during the American Revolution, goods seized by Pedrick's privateers were stored here. As the local maritime economy changed in the 19th and 20th centuries, so did the building's uses.
In 2003, the National Park Service acquired the structure and dismantled the frame. After repair, the frame was reassembled here on Derby Wharf, using period building techniques. A new roof, windows, and clapboards restored the structure to its 19th century appearance.
Captions:The Store House retained much of its earlier appearance into the 1900s, when these photos were taken.
The building shortly before disassembly.
Raising the "bents" into place, Derby Wharf, 2008.
The fully assembled frame, Derby Wharf, 2008.
In 1905-6, the building was altered by its new owner, the Marblehead Transportation Company, for use by the adjacent New Fountain Inn. The attic story and gable roof were removed, a roof balustrade and windows added, and the entire building reshingled.
From the end of World War II to 1978, when the Town of Marblehead purchased the building, it was the harbor's commercial hub. Boating supplies, fuel, ferry services, and transport to moorings could be obtained at the facility, shown here in 1950.
The open floor plan of the second floor sail loft made the building a good place for special events. This photo of the Russell family reunion from around 1900 shows the interior of the building much like it appears today.