A monument marking Sand Point appears as a white dot in the center of the sight. Sand deposits caused by currents at a bend in the river evidently gave the site its name. The surrounding meadows have been favorite campsites since prehistoric time.Seth Ward and William Guerrier established an Indian trade post at Sand Point in 1852. It was an ideal location for trading in hides and furs as well as for supplying Oregon Trail travelers who camped nearby. In 1852, a lady diarist wrote, "We are now encamped directly on the bank of the river, under two fine trees. The station, about a mile below, is in a handsome bend of the stream and consists of two or three log buildings, with a large one of stone, about half erected."In 1855, Ward and Guerrier moved to Fort Laramie, where Ward soon became post sutler - a position leading to accumulation of a great fortune. Until his death in 1858, Guerrier handled the Fort's Indian trade. Thereafter B. B. Mills and Antoine Janis managed that trade, moving its headquarters back to Sand Point. Later, under Jules Ecoffey, the post became a stage station and, in 1860 and 1861, it was a Pony Express Station. By 1822, Sand Point was a ranch homestead, and Charles Guernsey acquired the property in 1891.The country road from Guernsey to Register Cliff passes by Sand Point.
Comments 0 comments