In the early 1900's this was a small logging community known as Ananies. In 1906, the first discovery oil well in the field, the Savage No. 1, was brought in. Around 1908 the name of the town was changed to Oil City, by 1910 the population had jumped to around 12,000 and the town was booming. During the boom years, Oil City had the dubious reputation of being the roughest boom town in the country. By 1950 law and order prevailed and Oil City settled down to being a thriving, prosperous community. Since 1906 the oil industry has been the backbone of the economy. The Caddo Pine Island Field is currently producing about 8,000 bbls. of oil and 4,883,000 cu. ft. of gas daily. A very large percentage of the area work force is employed by the oil industry. The town has a heritage to be proud of, and has truly earned the right to be called "Oil City".