Named for a teacher's college and railroad depot, the Normal Station neighborhood is bounded by Goodlett, Park, Highland, and Southern. The Chickasaws originally had a hunting camp on Black Bayou that runs through the area. William F. Eckles bought much of the land in 1835, but all that remains of that time into the 21st Century are the Eckles family cemetery on Carnes Avenue and a former carriage house built in 1846. Two major influences on the neighborhood have been the Normal Depot, serving as a rail and a streetcar stop until 1949, and the University of Memphis. The City annexed the neighborhood in 1929. Most houses, representing typical Southern styles, were built between the mid-1920s and the early 1950s, and many eastern section homes were built in the 1940s for employees of the nearby Kennedy General Hospital for veterans. Normal Station neighborhood was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.