The northwest farmers of Stratford formed the Village of Unity in October, 1725. They united in 1744 with the Long Hill parish of the Stratfield section of Stratford to become the Society of North Stratford. The Society controlled its own religious and educational affairs. To have a voice, however, in governmental functions such as adopting laws and establishing taxes, the inhabitants were required to attend town meetings in Stratford, an overnight journey. After ten years of unsuccessful petitions, the General Assembly granted complete town rights in October, 1797, and the Town was named for General Washington's staunch supporter, Revolutionary War Governor Jonathan Trumbull.