The Completion Of
The Trumbull Library
Realizes the Dreams and Concerns
Of Half a Century of Trumbull Residents In 1923 on land deeded by the Trumbull Congregational Church in Trumbull Center the Nichols Memorial Library was opened as a request from Mary Francis (Nichols) Merwin. In 1929 Mrs. Charles W. and Erwin S. Fairchild Donated the Fairchild-Nichols Memorial Library on the Nichols Green to house the lending library organized at the Old Firehouse in 1922 by William Mills and Nichols residents. In 1937, on land donated by Mrs. Frank Miller in 1930, Hawley Memorial Library was built from funds given by Elizabeth and Walter Hawley in memory of Isadora Hawley and David Banks Hawley, to accommodate the Long Hill PTA book collection housed at Upper Long Hill Firehouse since 1920.
In 1959 the representative town meeting recognized the need for vast restructuring and improvements in library service to meet the growing needs of the Trumbull community. In 1965 First Selectman Clarence F. Heimann, with far-sighted dedication to provide enhanced educational, informational, and recreational opportunities for citizens of all ages, initiated a Trumbull Library Study Commission. Upon their recommendation, in 1967, the Town Council appointed a Trumbull Library Board of Directors. In December 1968, the existing libraries were coordinated into a unified system and in the following August Grace M. Birch was appointed first town librarian.
Trumbull Library Board of Directors
Present Members Orville L. Lemoine, Chairman · Donald R. Smith, Vice Chairman · Joseph M. Catera · Lester Dober · Charles W. Hawley · Stanley C. Herrschaft · Judith M. Jewett · Stelle Schwartz · Susan G. Trivers
Past Members J. Gerard Flynn · Charles H. Hofacker · Frank C. Holmes · J. Frederic Johnson · Robert S. Keane · Patricia H. Micklos · Jane R. Smith · Thomas N. Taylor