From 1891-1894, the Eldorado Amusement Park, set atop the Weehawken Palisades thrilled thousands of visitors from New York City and surrounding New Jersey locales. Conceived by Hungarian entrepreneur Bolossy Kiralfy, the 15-acre site encompassed the area from the cliffs west to Highland Avenue and from Liberty Place south to Duer Place. The landscape grounds included a Moorish inspired casino, a Rhenish castle perched on the cliff's edge, a 30-foot high fountain, a large music pavilion and bandstands. Grand entertainments were presented in an 8,000 seat Roman-style amphitheatre and included circus acts, ballooning, fireworks and huge musical spectacles with casts of 1,000. Access from the river was provided by means of a giant 150-foot high elevator which connected to a train that crossed a trestle spanning the distance to the park's entrance at Liberty Place.