was erected by the citizens of Baltimore under the management of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety
in honor of the gallant defenders of this City and Nation who fell in the Battle of North Point
and during the bombardment of Fort McHenry September 12 and 13, 1814.
The corner-stone was laid on the first anniversary of the Battle, September 12, 1815
Edward Johnson, Mayor · Maj. Gen. Samuel Smith · Brig. Gen. John Stricker · Lieut. Col. George Armistead.
A model for the occasion was executed by John Finley and Rembrandt Peale, The statue representing the city of Baltimore was raised to summit September 12, 1822
The design of the monument was the gift of J. Maximilian M. Godefroy, a French émigré, and the carving was executed in Italian marble by Signor Antonio Capellano, late first sculptor to the court of Spain
This site was first selected for Washington Monument the corner-stone of which was laid two months earlier July 4, 1815
The design was adopted as the seal of the city in 1827
This tablet was placed by the City of Baltimore on the centenary of the laying of the corner-stone, Defenders' Day 1915
James H. Preston Mayor