In 1887 Horace and Mary (Grinnan) Chilton acquired land in the Yarbrough addition and soon after started construction on a house for their family. The design, by an unknown architect, is reportedly modeled after Mary's childhood home in Virginia.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014
Horace Chilton pursued a career in law and was appointed Assistant Attorney General by Governor Oran Roberts. In 1891, Governor James Hogg appointed him to the U.S. Senate to complete the unexpired term of John H. Reagan. Chilton served a full senate term from 1895-1901 and was Texas' first native-born U.S. Senator. The Chiltons sold the property to Jacob and Rogenia Lipstate in 1903. Jacob Lipstate was a very successful Tyler merchant and real estate investor and helped organize the Chamber of Commerce in 1900. While the Lipstates owned the property, they subdivided a portion of the land into smaller lots for additional houses. The Lipstates sold the house in 1909 to W.P. Douglas, who then sold it to Gus F. and Helen (Minge) Taylor in 1910. Gus Taylor was a Smith County native who organized and was president of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Tyler (later the Citizens National Bank) from 1905-1944. Taylor's heirs lived here until 1955, when they sold the property to Caldwell Schools, which operated a preschool on the property until 1998.
The high style Classical Revival house is the largest dwelling in the Brick Streets Historic District, and reflects late 19th century development in Smith County. Notable features include a steeply pitched hip roof, ionic columns, a cantilevered balcony, turned wood balusters and first floor window surrounds.