The military camps and Richard Bridge were located in the bend of the North Platte River about one-mile north of Evansville, Wyoming. Locally known as Reshaw's Bridge, the area is marked by a historical sign.
John Richard (Reshaw) constructed a toll bridge in 1852-53 to offer a crossing for the Oregon/California/Mormon Trail emigrants. On November 2, 1985, members of the 4th Artillery, 6th Infantry, and 10th Infantry arrived at the Richard trading post and established a military camp. In January, 1856, the camp became known as Fort Clay. From February through June the name was changed to Camp Davis. Special Order No. 9 on March 6, 1856, directed the garrison to "...protect the bridge and other interests in that part of the country." The camp at Richard Bridge was abandoned in November of 1856.
The area was again garrisoned by members of the 4th Artillery in July, 1858 when they established Post at Platte Bridge. The post was informally called Camp Payne by the troops and was abandoned in April, 1859. The next time troops were garrisoned in this area, they located at Fort Caspar near Guinard's Bridge.