H.B. Smith's machinery warehouse was the largest structure in the lower village. It stood across the main road from the Smithville railroad station.
The construction of new houses on Forest Avenue in the lower village took place in 1886. These new dwellings provided homes for the mechanics and their families. The monthly rent amounted to about $8. They had generous yard space for gardens and fruit trees and the yards featured white picket fences.
The Smithville School stood in the lower village of Smithville. Constructed in 1899, the new school replaced the original school, housed in a building occupying the corner of the mansion property.
The Smithville Methodist Episcopal Church faced the Smith Company warehouse across the road. A clapboard structure, it measured 27 feet by 37 feet with a bell tower over the entrance. It cost $1,397.84 to build in 1877.
(Inscription under the image in the upper left) Smithville School, built in the lower village near the pond in 1899.
(Inscription under the image in the upper right)Smithville school class of 1925.
(Inscription under the image in the lower center) Left: Back view of a duplex workers' house on Forest Avenue, about 1925. The houses featured two and one-half story construction. They contained three bedrooms, a living room, dining room and a large kitchen. Right: A view of the lower village.