(Circa 1752)The George Washington House, often referred to as the Indian Queen Tavern, was built by tavern keeper Jacob Wirt. Prior to the Revolution, when Bladensburg was a thriving port town, this building was rented out to Cunningham and Company, a Scottish mercantile firm, which traded in tobacco. The building later served as a tavern and stagecoach stop for weary travellers during their journeys along the Old Post Road, a major route linking the north and south. From 1774 to 1783 it was run by innkeeper-turned-lawyer and balloonist Peter Carnes. In 1784 Carnes made the first authenticated unmanned and manned balloon ascents in America. In 1792 this building was sold to further the legal education of William Wirt, Jacob's youngest son, William, born here in 1772, later became a prominent lawyer, author, and noted United States Attorney General (1817 to 1829) and a candidate for President in 1832. In 1894 populist reformer Jacob Coxey and his army of unemployed protesters camped here during their march on Washington, D.C. seeking federal aid.
|Placed By||Prince George's County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 10th, 2014 at 7:12am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 331764 N 4312026|
|Decimal Degrees||38.94105000, -76.94116667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 56.463', W 76° 56.47'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 56' 27.78" N, 76° 56' 28.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4401 Upshur St, Bladensburg MD 20710, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.