The need for education in this rural area was met in 1902, when a two-room school was started on Emil Helm's farm (1.5 mi. NW). The name "Sweet Home" was chosen by Henry Kriegel, one of the first trustees. In 1922 the school was moved to a better-equipped, two-room structure on this site. John Simecek (1878-1964), a farmer and banker who served the longest term as school trustee, 1922-44, donated the 2-acre tract of land. A teacherage (residence) was added in 1928, and a cellar in 1930. Sweet Home School closed in 1944, and today only the cellar remains to mark the location.