Frostburg can trace its history back to the very early 1800s, when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant and consisted of only three homes. By the time the National Road opened through in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the town along its route and was offering building lots for sale.
As the town grew, it became known as "Frost Town" after the 1812 founders, Meshach (Josiah's son) and Catherine Frost, who lived in a home built upon Lot 1.
Stagecoach service through town began in 1818, and after the first post office was established in 1820, with Meshach as the first postmaster, the current name of Frostburg came into being. This 1909 postcard view is of West Main Street.
[text with postcard image] From the collection of Albert and Angela Felstein.