A trolley car and horse and buggy descend the old National Road at Eckhart Hill, just east of Frostburg. In 1806 construction of the Cumberland (National) Road was authorized by Congress. Its purpose was to connect the populated east and "navigable waters of the Atlantic" to the Ohio River. Construction began at Cumberland in 1811 and was completed to the Ohio River at Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1818, a distance of 132 miles. To a large extent it followed the earlier Nemacolin's Path and Braddock's Road. This section is the nation's first federally funded and designed road and "interstate highway". By the time the National Road opened through Frostburg in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the town along its route and was offering building lots for sale. As the town grew, it became known as "Frost Town" after the 1812 founders, Meschach (Josiah's son) and Catherine Frost. Stagecoach service through Frostburg via the National Road began in 1818. Construction began on the National Road west of Wheeling in 1825, and proceeded to Vandalia, Illinois, its western terminus. In 1926, a national highway numbering system was established and the National Road was designated as part of U.S. Route 40. It is now known as Alternate Route 40. Dedicated on August 2, 1991, Interstate 68 parallels much of the original
The Great Allegheny Passage trail is behind this marker, about a .3 mile walk away.National Road through Maryland. The sender of this 1907 postcard writes, "Having a fine time in the 'burg. Marguerite."
[text with postcard image] From the collection of Albert and Angela Feldstein.