The Historic National Road in OhioOn the west bank of the Scioto River stands the former Central High School, now the core building of the Center of Science and Industry (COSI). The Plan of the City of Columbus, released in 1908, was developed to create a vision for the city in line with the Progressive Era City Beautiful Movement. The design and construction of the school was influenced by the reform and architectural standards set by the plan. As noted in the Central High School Annual of 1925, the first year of the new school, "This building is the center of the proposed new civic group, and as the first to be erected, furnishes the key design for those to follow. Located on the boulevard skirting the river, with a site covering thirteen acres, opportunity was given for a setting rarely afforded public school."
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Placed By||The Ohio Nationalroad Association, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 328644 N 4425396|
|Decimal Degrees||39.96136667, -83.00625000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 57.682', W 83° 0.375'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 57' 40.92" N, 83° 0' 22.5" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 513|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Lower Scioto Greenway, Columbus OH 43215, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.