1884 ~ 1972Built by C. G. Stall and a group of investors at a cost of $17,000, the Southwestern Hotel stood here for almost a century. Boasting 38 rooms, including a servants sitting room, billiards room, barbershop, fine dining hall, ballroom, a laundry and bridal chamber, the 3 story brick building was elegantly furnished throughout. Its restaurant was well known for its wide-ranging, exotic menu in 1886. A meal then included: Haunch of Venison with Chow-Chow, Salmon Salad, Sponge Boston Brown Bread, Bina Stewed Corn and English Plum Pudding. Following its years as a hotel, the fine old building served as the city's hospital until 1965 when a new district facility opened.
|Placed By||The Caldwell Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, August 6th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 623884 N 4099517|
|Decimal Degrees||37.03370000, -97.60708333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 2.022', W 97° 36.425'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 2' 1.32" N, 97° 36' 25.5" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101-115 KS-49, Caldwell KS 67022, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.