The mother church of Parishes in Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Mary and lower Assumption was incorporated in 1817. Priests served the area from Assumption Church, Plattenville, until 1822 when Fr. Antoine Potini (1822-1827) became first resident pastor. Fr. Charles M. Menard, canon of St. Louis Cathedral and apostle of Bayou Lafourche, was pastor, 1845-1895. The church building dedicated in 1849 and embellished over the years was destroyed by fire in 1916.The present edifice, erected during the pastorate of Msgr. Alexndre M. Barbier (1911-1934). canon of St. Louis Cathedral, was dedicated in 1923.