This building is named for Edward W. Wynkoop (1836-1891) to honor his peacemaking efforts, though unsuccessful, to resolve the Indian-white conflict which resulted tragically in the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864.
Exaggerated reports of Indian-white fighting and bloodshed in the surrounding plains reached Denver and the city was terrorized by rumors that the Indians were planning to destroy the town.
Major Edward W. Wynkoop, the humane commander of Fort Lyon, tenaciously worked for a peaceful solution to the problem. Despite the loss of his command for holding these unpopular beliefs, he arranged meetings between Governor Evans and well-intentioned Indian chiefs to plan for peace. Succumbing to intense political pressure for military action, the Governor declared total war.
The Third Colorado Regiment surprised the Cheyenne in their lodges at Sand Creek. One hundred and five women and children plus twenty-eight men, many aged, were shot, scalped, and mutilated.
Wynkoop's courageous stand is an inspiration to seek peaceful solutions to conflict between peoples.
Constructed in 1901 as a spice and commission house, the building was later used as a general warehouse. In 1979, it was renovated for office and living space.