This center-hall Colonial, constructed circa 1850, was the home of Dr. John Couse Johnson and his family. Dr. Johnson was born on October 21, 1828, in Wantage Township, New Jersey. He received his degree in 1850 at the New York College of Physicians and Surgeons. It was at this time that he moved to Blairstown. In 1862 he married Miss Ann Howell, who had served as the town's postmaster for several years.
Dr. Johnson had many medical accomplishments and served as president of two groups: the Warren County Medical Society and the Medical Society of New Jersey. He was also an author of numerous articles in medical literature. Dr. Johnson would see patients as far as ten miles away. His horse and buggy would leave town in the early morning hours to go over the Blue Ridge to the Delaware River, often stopping at the home of Malachi Sutton of Pahaquarry Township. Mr. Sutton would give him a fresh horse and a strengthening meal to sustain him on his return to Blairstown in the late evening.
The doctor was also dedicated to school and church affairs. He was a trustee for the local public school for many years and served as a director of Blair Academy for nineteen years. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church and was president of the American Bible Society for several years. He played both the melodeon and pipe organ
at the church, until succeeded by his daughter Sara.
Dr. Johnson will long be remembered as a devoted country doctor and citizen. He passed away at his home on December 23, 1907, at the age of 79. At the time of his death he had practiced longer than any other physician in Warren County.