The Surry Lumber Company began constructing the main line of its narrow-gauge Surry, Sussex
& Southampton Railway in 1886. Eventually extending 28 miles, the line began at Scotland Wharf on the James River, continued to the sawmill complex here at Dendron, ran southwest to
Wakefield (where it crossed the Norfolk & Western Railroad), and terminated at Dory, a logging
camp in Southampton County. At its peak, the SS&S operated at least 100 miles of track,
including branches in Isle of Wight and Prince George Counties. The railway, which carried mail
and passengers as well as lumber, ceased operations in July 1930.