(side 1)(Continued on other side)
This two-story commercial building was built in 1910 by Henry Horace Singletary (1848-1912) as the H.H. Singletary Company, with a grocery store on the first floor. Singletary, perhaps the most prominent businessman and civic leader in the town from Reconstruction into the 20th century, once owned almost 600 acres in what is now downtown Lake City. He also ran a sawmill and brickyard.
(Continued from other side)
Singletary was a pioneer in the creation and early prosperity of Lake City's produce markets in the 1890s, shipping local strawberries to Northern markets. He gave assistance to many institutions in Lake City, donating lumber for the first school in 1878, land for the second school in 1888, and land for the first sanctuary of Lake City Presbyterian Church, built in 1888.