Hannah, named for the Hannah/Hanna family, was known as Cane Branch or Lynches River before a post office was opened here in 1887. William S. Hannah (1807-1876), a farmer and merchant, built his house nearby in 1847 and also ran a general store here; he later dropped the final "h" from the family name. This area was part of Williamsburg County until Florence County was created in 1888.
The Hannah Post Office, open from 1887 to 1917, served a community of two churches, two general stores, a cotton gin, saw mill, grist mill, and cane mill. William S. Hanna's store, built ca. 1850, operated for more than 135 years, passing to his son Ervin (1840-1924), grandson Davis (1892-1978), and great-grandson Murdock (1920-1986). The old store was replaced in the 1950s.