Gwynns Falls TrailThis area of Baltimore, known as Carroll-Camden, was one of the city's earliest industrial districts. Starting in the 1800s, it served as the home of the gas-lighting industry, breweries, and manufacturers of dredging equipment and pianos. Baltimore was an early leader in the use of gas made from coal for streetlights and other purposes before natural gas replaced it in the mid-1900s. The Ellicott Machine Corporation, begun in 1885 and now a part of Baltimore Dredges, still produces equipment used in waterways around the world. The Bauernschmidt brewery and Marr malt house operated here until the early 1900s. The Knabe piano complex employed hundreds until it moved away in 1929. Efforts are underway today to redevelop this area.
|Placed By||Gwynn Falls Trail Council/ A Project of the Parks & People Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, June 4th, 2017 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 359058 N 4348859|
|Decimal Degrees||39.27763333, -76.63401667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 16.658', W 76° 38.041'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 16' 39.48" N, 76° 38' 2.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1401 Bayard St, Baltimore MD 21230, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.