In the late 1760's, the Mount Clare mansion was built by Charles Carroll, Barrister and his wife, Margaret Tilghman, as their summer home. The mansion was located on the grounds of the original plantation, Georgia, and included an orangery, orchards, fields of tobacco and wheat, and terraced gardens that fell away from the hillside toward the river—all, most likely cared for by slaves. Earlier, Carroll's father, Charles, sold a large portion of the plantation to the Baltimore Iron Works Co. in which he was an investor. Later, Carroll's nephew and heir, James Mccubbin Carroll donated land for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's original right-of-way and its first station, named Mount Clare. By the late 1860's Mount Clare was surrounded by clay pits, brickyards and other industries—a bustling cityscape.
At the Point you have a full view of the elegant splendid Seat of Mr. (Charles) Carroll, Barrister. It is a large and elegant House ... looking down the river, into the Harbour on mile from the Water. —Diary of John Adams, 1777.