Circa 1890Originally part of the 1777 Spanish Land Grant to François Prévost, this Iberia to Julia Street property with its circa 1890 building was purchased by Frédéric Henri Dupérier in 1829. The property remained with the heirs of Dupérier until its sale to Gaston Patout and then Richard Provost who opened Provost's Café and Bar in the 1930's. Originally in a pre-prohibition establishment in Loreauville, Louisiana, the café's 1890 tiger oak bar was purchased by Mr. Provost and moved by barge down the Bayou Teche to its present location. The café, sold in 1994, became Armand's Restaurant before Wayne Peltier purchased it in 2003 and renamed it Clementine, a popular downtown spot.Donated in loving memory of their parents by the children of Dr. Vernon Aloysius Voorhies and Jacqueline Kofler Voorhies.
|Placed By||Iberia Cultural Resources Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 17th, 2017 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 614006 N 3319997|
|Decimal Degrees||30.00563333, -91.81791667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 0.338', W 91° 49.075'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 0' 20.2800" N, 91° 49' 4.5000" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 113 E Main St, New Iberia LA 70560, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.