Fall Creek has long attracted entrepreneurs, whether for industrial, recreational or educational purposes. Over the years, a succession of dams, mills and powerhouses have been constructed to harness the water power of its various falls. Investments made in and along the gorge during the last third of the nineteenth century capitalized on its scenic beauties, while subsequent improvements at Beebe Lake offered recreational opportunities. Cornell University made use of the stream to power and serve its instructional facilities, particularly those for the engineering colleges, then located a short distance south of the gorge.
Triphammer Falls, with nineteenth-century stairtower and bridge erected for the use of visitors to "The Ithaca Gorge."
Image courtesy of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
Hydraulic Laboratory, Cornell University, erected for the College of Civil Engineering in 1897-98 and enlarged in 1900-1901.
Image courtesy of The History Center in Tompkins County