A Transportation Hub
—History of the Coast —The serene scene of today is nothing like the frenzied activity that once took place here. Travelers switched from train to steamboat to trolley on trips to attractions along Chautauqua Lake. The present station was built on this site in 1924 after the wood station burned. The Chautauqua Traction trolley. The Hotel Houx built in 1913, still in use today. The Chautauqua House built in 1868, burned in 1894. The Steamboat 'Mayville' built 1876, decommissioned 1885. The 'Nettie Fox'. The 'Jamestown'. Western NY & Pennsylvania RR. Chautauqua Traction Co. 1863 Steamboat era begins 1864 Cross Cut RR built 1869 Wood train depot built 1892 Steamboat era peaks 1906 First trolley line reaches Mayville 1924 Depot burned 1924 Brick train station built 1926 Trolley era ends 1934 Steamboat era ends 1949 Last passenger train 1978 Final freight run 1980 track removed Seaway Trail ports became links to important inland transportation hubs.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 624156 N 4678128|
|Decimal Degrees||42.24548333, -79.49506667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 14.729', W 79° 29.704'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 14' 43.74" N, 79° 29' 42.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 16 NY-394, Mayville NY 14757, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.