Longest Uninterrupted MinistryOn May 9, 1806, eleven individuals met together with Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr. and Rev. Thomas Mercer to organize Ebenezer Baptist Church in Amite County. Services have continued there for over 200 years giving the church the distinction of having the longest UNINTERRUPTED MINISTRY of any Mississippi Baptist ChurchRev. Ezra Courtney, one of the 11 founding church members, was called as the first pastor of the new church on November 1, 1806 and served as Ebenezer's pastor until 1819.World War II brought Camp Van Doran to Centerville and the Ebenezer community. The United States Government temporarily appropriated the church property; consequently the church members were forced to worship in a nearby home for nearly six years from 1942 to 1947.In 1956, Ebenezer celebrated its Sesquicentennial in conjunction with the Mississippi Baptist Association, also organized in 1806. Governor J.P. Coleman was a special guest for the occasion. The church celebrated its bicentennial in 2006.
|Placed By||Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 at 10:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 676749 N 3503897|
|Decimal Degrees||31.65673333, -91.13581667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 39.404', W 91° 8.149'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 39' 24.24" N, 91° 8' 8.9399999999999" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4335 US-61, Fayette MS 39069, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.