In 1908, two physicians purchased an eight-room frame home on the corner of North State and Manship streets in Jackson, Mississippi, with the vision of converting it into a small hospital. After operating the hospital for two years, the physicians decided they could not administer the hospital and also devote themselves to the practice of medicine. They decided to give their hospital to a church group who would agree to carry on their mission.On January 1, 1911, the Mississippi Baptist Convention accepted the gift of what would become Mississippi Baptist Hospital. In 1913, the foundation was laid for a new two-story brick hospital designed to accommodate 50 patients. This new hospital opened on Thanksgiving Day 1914.Over the next fifty years, many additions were made to the original brick Baptist Hospital until finally there was no more room to grow. In December of 1972, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new six-story Baptist Medical Center, located across the street from the old Baptist Hospital. Today, Baptist Medical Center is a non-profit, 640-bed medical center providing comprehensive medical services for people in every stage of life. It is part of the Mississippi Baptist Health Systems which, along with The Mississippi Hospital for Restorative Care and a number of related healthcare services and programs,
provides Mississippi and surrounding states with Christian-based, comprehensive medical care.