St.George's was founded in 1749 as the first chapel of Trinity Church and was located at Beekman and Cliff Streets. Peter G. Stuyvesant donated part of his farm in 1846 and construction was immediately begun by a then independent St. George's.
The new church, designed by Leopold Eidlitz and Otto Blesch, was Romanesque Revival in style and personally funded by William Whitlock,Jr., Senior Warden (1846-1855. Fire destroyed it in 1865 leaving only the walls, towers and spires. Under Eidlitz's direction, it was rebuilt the following year as originally designed. The Rector was Stephen H. Tyng, D.D. (1845-1878) and the Senior Warden Samuel Hopkins (1866-1873). In 1889, the fire-damaged spires were removed.
Plaque presented in 1976 by the descendants of Messrs. Hopkins and Tyng.