For generations of Ludington residents, the statue of the "Boy and Girl Under the Umbrella" was the center piece of the City Park.
The statue, made entirely of a cast metal, originally had been positioned on the front lawn of the James Foley residence now, Manor House on the corner of Ludington and Washington Avenues. A city alderman in 1890, talked Foley into giving the statue to the City Park and there it stayed until 1976.
Vandals made the statue unpresentable until George Peterson Sr., a longtime member of the Historical Society's Board of Directors, volunteered to restore it. After two months, eleven colors of paint, and the help of his wife Janette, the "Boy and Girl" were ready to provide beauty to White Pine Village. The umbrella was restored by DeWayne Skoog of Skoog Heating & Sheet Metal.