Salem Church of Christ
—"Indian Bush". —Evangelical Circuit Riders visited this area in the 1830's bringing the Word of God to German speaking settlers. In 1845 a need was felt for a regular place of worship and a log meeting house was built near this location known as "Indian Bush". In 1854 a Sunday School was organized which met there or in nearby homes. Prominent family names in the early church were Kuenall, Walter, Failor, Blaser, Paulin, and Knoble. The present church structure, completed in 1861, of simple barn frame construction, was used by the congregation then known as the Salem Evangelical Church. Through later mergers, the church became the Evangelical United Brethren and finally United Methodist Church. The bell and tower were added in 1906, and other improvements made over the years. In 2001, a structural failure caused the building to be closed and the small congregation then merged with the Union United Methodist Church located 2 ½ miles north. In 2002, three former members formed the Friends of Salem Church Foundation and repairs were completed by this foundation to make the building again suitable for use as a place of worship.
|Placed By||Trustees of the Friends of Salem Church Foundation and Friends|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, August 17th, 2017 at 10:03am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 315154 N 4523383|
|Decimal Degrees||40.84066667, -83.19253333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 50.44', W 83° 11.552'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 50' 26.4" N, 83° 11' 33.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||419, 740, 567|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4058-4350 Old Lincoln Hwy, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.