Old Tavern on an Ancient Highway
—An Underground Railroad Site —Side A The Bunker Hill House, previously the Bunker Hill Tavern, was built in stages between 1834 and 1862. The building is one of Ohio's best representations of Federal-Greek Revival style "pike town" architecture. This architectural style is closely associated with pre-Civil War horse-powered turnpike transportation and lodging. The building was a way station for pioneers heading west and for drovers driving their animals to Cincinnati stockyards. It was also a stagecoach stop on Eastern Stage Coach Company's Cincinnati Omnibus Line that operated daily between Cincinnati and Richmond, Indiana. Tavern operations ceased in 1858 due to decreased turnpike travel resulting from the newly completed railroad through nearby Camden. In 1862, a general store was established to supply the growing population in the area. The store closed in the early 1900s with the advent of the automobile, which made travel to larger, more distant stores viable. The Bunker Hill House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Proctor and Gamble Fund, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, August 31st, 2017 at 7:03am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 691185 N 4389824|
|Decimal Degrees||39.63685000, -84.77210000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 38.211', W 84° 46.326'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 38' 12.66" N, 84° 46' 19.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||513, 937|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8015S177 OH-177, Camden OH 45311, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.