—A New Marker, Also a Replacement —
Clinton Township High School
The first school in Clinton Township was opened in 1809. That
school was located on the west side of the Olentangy River and
children had to wade across to attend. The 1872 map of the
township shows a school house on East Street (now Oakland Park
Avenue) just to the east of the Turnpike (now High Street).
Prior to 1890, the school moved to be along High just to the
south of North Broadway. The 1890 plat of North Broadway made
provision for the preservation of a new fence on the school lot.
In 1895 a four room brick school house was built. The population
continued to grow and in 1904 the Clinton Township Trustees
built a high school to the east of the 1895 school building. That
school building was designed by David Riebel, the architect of
Columbus City Schools. In 1910 the City of Columbus annexed
this portion of the Clintonville area. By 1922, the 1895 school
house was replaced with a larger brick building. Bricks from
the 1895 building were used in the construction of the 1922
school. Both the 1904 and 1922 school buildings continue to be
used to educate children in Clinton Township. In 2014, after
completing a major renovation of the 1922 building, Columbus City
School officials declared that it would be too expensive to bring
the 1904 building up to current standards.
After over 100 years of
public service, the Clinton Township High School was torn down.
East North Broadway Historic District
North Broadway was platted by the Loren and Dennison Company in 1890. East North Broadway originally extended from High Street to the Big Four Railroad (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus and St. Louis RR, later the New York Central), one mile east, where it terminated with a depot and post office. The intersection with Calumet Street (also known as Beech Hill) was originally designed with a landscaped circle in the center of the intersection with the road around it. The traffic circle was removed, but evidence of it remains where the sidewalks mark the outer edges of the circle.
The District encompasses 117 primary buildings and 86 secondary buildings representing a wide variety of housing styles that were popular during the late 19th to mid 20th centuries, including Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, English Revival, Dutch Colonial Revival, Romanesque Revival, Craftsman, Bungalow, and mid-century modern.
On July 8, 2010 the District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.