Philologus Webster was born in Stonington, Connecticut in 1759.
He was the son of Captain John and Rhonda Lewis Webster and the
great, great grandson of Connecticut Colony Governor John Webster.
At the age of 18, Philo served in the Revolutionary War in the
Connecticut militia, in Colonel Hooker's regiment, under Captain Asa
Bray. In 1812 he came to Ohio accompanied by his wife Sarah and
sons Peter, John and Harvey. When he died in 1821, he was buried
on his family farm.
An 1872 map shows the Webster graveyard north of the ravine and
to the east of the turnpike (High Street). In addition to Philo
Webster, among those buried here were Dan Case, Rodney Cooke,
John Buck, and Jordan Ingram. In 1904 the "Old Northwest"
Genealogical Quarterly reported 39 headstones in this cemetery - also
known as Cooke Cemetery.
In 1910 Clinton Township Trustee C.E. Webster made arrangements
for the graveyard to be relocated. Philo Webster, his wife, Sarah,
their son John, his wife Lydia and John and Lydia's son Oliver were
moved to Green Lawn Cemetery. Peter Webster, his wife Lydia
Sperry, Rodney Cooke and his wife Laura and 16 others were moved
to Union Cemetery. Elihu Webster, his wife Nancy and their sons
Edward and Marlin were moved to Walnut Grove Cemetery.
Comments 0 comments