When the Savannah & Statesboro Railway was completed in 1899, some of the stations along the track began to grow into villages. One of these was Stilson, named for Stilson Hutchinson who was instrumental in getting the Railway to pass through this area. The first postmaster was William Strickland in 1899 and the last was Edith Hutchinson in 1966. In 1900, Stilson had a population of 138. Businesses in 1909 traded in naval stores, melons, cotton, timber and turpentine. The town was surrounded by prosperous farmers.(Continued on other side)
Dr. Frank Forest Floyd was the first doctor in Stilson. When he moved to Statesboro, Dr. Dan L. Deal began his practice in 1910. In 1901 the new town built a two story school called Stilson Academy. The advertisement announcing the school read, "All Branches Taught. Board moderate. Tuition reasonable." Professor Ingraham was the first teacher. In 1952, Stilson High School won both the Boys and Girls State Basketball Championships
(Continued from other side)
In 1903, the Presbyterian minister in Statesboro, S.W. DuBose, established a Presbyterian Mission in Stilson. In 1952 a chapel was dedicated. The mission closed in the early 1970s.
With the demise of the railroad and the growth of
US Hwy 80 west of town, Stilson began to decline. By 1955, Stilson High had closed and students were sent to Southeast Bulloch High School in nearby Brooklet, Georgia.
Notables from Stilson are Bette Beasley Anderson, Under Secretary of the Treasury; B. Avant Edenfield, Senior Judge U.S. Court Southern District; and Faye Sanders Martin, first woman Chief Judge Superior Courts, Ogeechee Judicial Circuit