Originally 6 acres of ground was purchased from William Webb, Frederick County, Maryland, for 15 shillings per acre, August 30, 1794, by "Members of the Society of People called Quakers to be used as a site for a meeting house and grave-yard."
1884-5 church meeting houses moved into Fishertown.
The Underground Railroad
This Quaker burial ground was used by Dunnings Creek Friends Meeting until 1948. Many buried here were active in the Underground Railroad despite the risks of imprisonment, barn burning or loss of other personal property. Believing in that of God in every person, Quakers aided slaves in their journeys to freedom until the Civil War ended. There is no record of the capture of any slaves while in the care of local friends.
Dunnings Creek Friends Meeting est. 1795