The Cape May Division of the Atlantic City (Philadelphia & Reading) Railroad ran from Winslow Junction to Cape May City with branches to Ocean City, Sea Isle City, Stone Harbor, and Wildwood.
This railroad was initially instrumental in the development of many Cape May County resorts but later became significant in the development of industry and strategic defense.
Within the ACRR-Cape May Division Historic District are resources from the railroads most historically significant years, 1893 to 1942.
There are timber trestle and metal bridges; semaphore signals; the Rio Grande Station and Signal and Interlocking Tower (now at Cold Spring Village); the Cape May Court House Station; the Ocean City Station; and the Tuckahoe Station and Interlocking Tower.
In 1942, the moveable bridge carrying a branch over the Cape May Canal was reconstructed to better serve the magnesite plant at Cape May Point.
Magnesite, a critical material in the manufacture of firebrick for steel production during WWII, was shipped by rail to Pittsburgh, making the plant a defense production facility.
It was the largest customer for railroad freight south of Winslow Junction.