The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners. The Green Lantern Inn, originally known as the DeLand Mansion, was built in 1876 by Henry DeLand, a local industrialist, for his family. In 1876, Fairport industrialist Henry DeLand built a mansion for his family on one side of South Main Street and specified aspects of the design of the FIrst Baptist Church on the opposite side. DeLand made his fortune manufacturing baking soda here in Fairport and lost it in a Florida orange grove freeze in the 1890's. His Second Empire house with a tower, porches, and many fireplaces, was one of the grandest private residences in western New York. After several private owners, including the Clark family, the DeLand Mansion opened as the Green Lantern Inn sometime after 1928 and has served since as a restaurant, speakeasy, rooming house, and banquet hall. The First Baptist Church,across Main Street, was built at the same time as the DeLand Mansion. The DeLand family donated the rose window and paid more than one-third of the construction cost of the church building, stipulating that the doors of the church and the doors of the mansion be directly across from one another.