This house was built in 1750 by
Capt. John Hodges, a West Indies
trader. In 1788, it passed to his son,
Capt. Benjamin Hodges.
Benjamin Hodges (1754 - 1806) was one of Salem's most distinguished sea captains of the post-revolutionary era.
A first cousin of the merchant Elias Haskett Derby, he commanded Derby's most famous ships, the "Astrea" and the "Grand Turk."
Between 1785 and 1792, he helped open up America's sea trade with Russia, China and India.
He was the founder and first president (1799 - 1806) of Salem's East India Marine Society (now the Peabody-Essex Museum).
Frank W. Benson (1861 - 1951), the noted American impressionist painter, lived here as a boy in the early 1870's.