1908 Town of Potomac 1929In September 1900, Alexandria County opened the original Mount Vernon School on this property to educate children up to the 8th grade. In spite of continual expansion, crowding was always a problem. By 1932, it was necessary to rent the bank building at 2401 Mount Vernon Ave. for classroom space. In 1935, the Mount Vernon School took over the former George Mason High School building next door and operated both school buildings. In 1968, the former high school was completely renovated and expanded, and the original Mount Vernon School building was demolished to make way for the current playground. The schools were all white, as there were no African Americans in the town in the 1920s. The few blacks in the surrounding areas were sent to Alexandria's African American schools, and the county paid their tuition.
|Placed By||City of Alexandria|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 1st, 2018 at 10:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 321254 N 4299733|
|Decimal Degrees||38.82826667, -77.05916667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 49.696', W 77° 3.55'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 49' 41.76" N, 77° 3' 33" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||703, 202|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2580-2598 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA 22301, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.