1908 Town of Potomac 1929When the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway announced plans in 1892 that included tracks between Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, the flat, open land north of Alexandria became a logical site for a new community. The development firm of Wood-Harmon bought two large plots of land in 1894 —- a larger one called "Del Ray," from the estate of John Lloyd, and a smaller one called "St. Elmo" —- separated from each other by a racetrack. The Town of Potomac, Virginia was chartered in March 1908, bounded on the east and by the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike (now U.S. Route 1), on the north by Old Georgetown (now Glebe) Road and Braddock Avenue (now Ashby Street), on the west by the electric rail line (now Commonwealth Avenue), and on the south by Bellefonte Avenue.
|Placed By||City of Alexandria|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, March 24th, 2018 at 7:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 321295 N 4299570|
|Decimal Degrees||38.82680000, -77.05865000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 49.608', W 77° 3.519'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 49' 36.48" N, 77° 3' 31.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||703, 202|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-203 E Oxford Ave, Alexandria VA 22301, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.