Alexandria Daily Town Talk The newspaper's first edition appeared on March 17, 1883. It was the inspiration and work of two printers, Edgar Hammond McCormick and Henarie Morrison Hule. McCormick, the senior partner, was a native of St. Louis who married Hule's aunt, and they had no children.
Huie, his unmarried sister Laura, and half brothers, Rollo C. H. Groves, and A. Hunter Jarreau, became owners of the newspaper. It was incorporated as McCormick & Co. Inc. in 1924. Descendant family members including the Dellmons, Wilsons, Smiths, O'Quins and Hardins have been involved in the operation and management of the company.
The company, its newspaper and an allied printing subsidiary, have been located on this and adjoining pieces of property since 1887.
news coverage focuses on Central Louisiana: carriers distribute the paper to subscribers throughout the area.
Persons employed on the newspaper's 100th anniversary are participants in a Commemorative Trust fund that will be shared March 17, 2033.Old Courthouse SquareRapides was one of the twelve original counties created when the Territory of Orleans was divided in 1805. Records are not available about early courthouses on this square, which was reserved for public use by the town's founder in a plat of February 1, 1805.
new courthouse built in 1859 was destroyed by fire on May 13, 1864 by Federal troops evacuating Alexandria in retreat down the Red River. Legal records and much of the town were burned. Hard times delayed the replacement courthouse until 1873. A parish jail was built on the Lee Street corner in 1899.
The last courthouse on this site, costing $75,000, was occupied in 1904. In 1940 a new, still existing courthouse was built on Murray Street. The jail was soon demolished; the old deteriorating courthouse was razed in 1957. The square was later acquired by McCormick & Co. for use by the Town Talk.